Veterinary clinics often advise their clients on vaccinations and vaccinations for cats. And this can neither rejoice, because if a person is interested, it means that he is worried about the health of his pet and his well-being. However, in order to make a decision, it is necessary to understand what constitutes a worm. The owner, first of all, must answer the question himself, why should he worm the cat before vaccination and know all the intricacies of the work.
The first step is to understand how cat vaccination begins. Of course, with worms. But why worm a cat before being vaccinated? The thing is that if there are worms in the cat’s body, then they can already be called a kind of disease. And as we know, sick cats are undesirable to vaccinate. The waste products of worms directly affect the health of the animal, thereby reducing its immunity. And if vaccination is carried out, then it will not be effective, since the animal’s body will not be able to produce a sufficient amount of antibodies. That is why it is worthwhile to study in detail the worms and the symptoms of their occurrence in cats.
Worms: symptoms of a cat infection
Worms are parasitic worms that cause helminthiasis in humans or animals. As for the habitat of worms, they are able to live absolutely everywhere: in soil, in water, grass, in raw fish and meat, as well as on dirty vegetables and fruits. Domestic cats are able to pick up the worms that the owner brought from the yard, on his shoes or clothes. And the main danger of infection with worms is that a person can also become infected with them. As for the symptoms of infection of kittens and cats with worms, their list is very large. Let’s take a look at the most common types of symptoms, namely:
- Diarrhea in an animal;
- Severe itching in the groin area in animals;
- Stool with bloody and mucus;
- Bloating in a cat
- Sudden weight loss;
- Hard breath;
- Hair loss in large quantities;
It is worth paying attention to the fact that all symptoms can be associated not only with infection with worms, but also with an infectious disease. If you swallow a pet that has an infection, you can only aggravate the situation and lead to the death of your beloved pet. That is why, if you are faced with any symptom of infection, the best solution would be treatment by a veterinarian.
How to start removing worms in cats and kittens?
First of all, the owner needs to remove the fleas, since the fleas feed on the eggs of the worms. Quite an interesting fact is that the eggs of worms can continue to grow in the body of an adult flea. Next, you need to treat the cat with anthelmintic drugs, however, provided that the cat does not have an infectious disease. After you completely remove the worms from the cat’s body, you can safely vaccinate it. Do not forget that worming is a complex and responsible process, and if you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to seek help from a specialist or consult with him about choosing the necessary drug. After you have decided on the choice of an anthelmintic drug, you must proceed to the process itself.
- When you started to worm your cat, it is advisable to use Gamavita with a drug for worms, which is used by injecting it under the withers of the cat;
- After five hours, it is imperative to give your pet some kind of sorbent. It can be either activated carbon or Enterosgel.
- In order for the process of removing worms to begin, it is necessary to monitor whether the cat has gone “in a big way”, otherwise intoxication is possible. If you notice that after 5 hours the cat still hasn’t gone to the toilet, you can use laxative syrup.
- After 10-12 days have passed, it is necessary to repeat the worm-extractor using the same system.
Anthelmintic drugs: selection and use
As for the most drugs for anthelmintic, today there are various types of drugs that can be used both externally and internally. Topical drops include drops on the skin, such as Profender, which are used once every 3-4 months. As tablets and suspensions, such preparations for anthelmintic as Drontal, Troncil, Cestal and so on are quite popular. When choosing the type of anthelmintic drug, do not forget that absolutely all anthelmintic drugs are toxic, especially those that are injected into the cat’s skin. Before you decide to proglist your pet on your own, you should pay attention to our tips to help you choose the right drug.
- You should not buy an anthelmintic drug in the markets or in tents if you do not want to acquire a fake;
- Only buy medications that say they are intended exclusively for cats or kittens. Each anthelmintic drug is intended for either the cat or kittens. In case of inattention of the owner, an overdose may occur in the animal, which implies a lethal outcome.
- It is very important to buy medicines that indicate which worms they are intended for. Most drugs fight tapeworms, but they pose no danger to roundworms. It is worth remembering that drugs with a wide range of effects are harmful and toxic, after which the pet will also be exposed to intoxication.
- In no case should you purchase anthelmintic drugs that are intended for people.
How to proglist a cat with a pill?
The best solution for worms is a suspension, but if you have already purchased pills, then we offer you several ways that will help you correctly and painlessly give your horse a drug for worms.
- You can place the cat on your lap with its back to you. This will prevent the cat from escaping. With one hand you need to open the jaw, with the other you need to put the medicine in the mouth. If you are removing worms from a kitten, then you need to intensively, but with light pressure, stroke your throat with your hand. This way you can induce the swallowing reflex in the kitten.
- An easier way is to crush the tablet. Mix the powder with water, draw the resulting liquid into a syringe and, holding the animal’s face, gently insert it into the cheek.
- You can also take the tablet with food. To do this, you need to grind the tablet and mix it with animal feed or boiled minced meat. It all depends on the diet of your pet.
- For the most violent cats, the following method can be used. You can wrap the cat in a blanket and lay it so that it lies with its back up, otherwise the cat may choke on the pill. Next, you need to do everything that is described in the first and second paragraphs.
And remember that your cat’s health depends only on your attentiveness. If you follow the diet of your animal, carry out the prevention of worms and fleas, feed the cat’s body with vitamins and minerals, you will never encounter infectious diseases and infection with worms. But if you find some symptoms, and are not sure that you can heal your pet on your own, you need to resort to the help of a real professional.