Meowing is a natural form of communication between a cat and its owner, which is normal behavior for almost all cats, but due to their age and temperament. We already know that meows are directed at us – that is, at humans, because cats rarely use it to communicate with each other. It is true that there are exceptions – cats that meow very rarely, but these are really isolated cases.
It is believed that adult cats meow to manipulate their owners, and just want to be understood in a feline way.
Experience shows that cats use an interesting mixture of meow and purr in certain situations.
The vast majority of cat owners enjoy their soothing and soothing purrs. However, there are different reasons why they meow, and it is worth asking why our kitten does this and what he wants to convey to us. It was found that there is no single reason why they do this, and that they have different personalities, and the reasons may be different. One thing is for sure, the cat with its meowing wants to convey to its owner some specific information.
1. Loneliness and the search for contact with people – this situation quite often happens when residents are out of the house most of the day. Then the cat is just bored, so when they bring their people back, he happily greets them and hopes to have some fun. And if during the day he lacks this, then the night is also a great reason to continue. Some people say that it is worth giving your pet another cat, which will put an end to his loneliness and boredom.
2. Boredom and frustration – from the boredom of our cat, the ideal solution is stimulation of movements, games and toys for cats. If you ignore the needs of the cat, you can expect surprises in the form of flipping objects, jumping on closets, beds, etc. So it is a good idea to play together in the evening, after which the cat wants to rest and sleep peacefully. for a few hours. Also, just in case, you can leave a few toys nearby to take care of when he gets bored at night.
3. Hunger or compulsion to eat – in different homes the issue of eating a cat is resolved in different ways. So that the cat does not wake us up at night from hunger, it is worth feeding it before bed, and also leaving something for later. He will have access to a full bowl in case he gets hungry at night. A toy filled with cat treats will do just as well.
4. Habit – habit meowing always leads to the same result, ie, attracting the attention of the caregiver. The cat quickly gets used to this, it is enough to meow and immediately its guard appears in the neighborhood.
5. Stress and environmental change – cats, as animals, are extremely sensitive to changes in the environment, relatively poorly tolerated moving and new furniture. Unknown sounds and smells similarly affect cats, destroying their comfort and peace.
6. Hormonal fluctuations – appear in spayed or neutered cats. Cats reach puberty after six months.
7. Illness or pain. Cats and humans suffer from certain medical conditions. It should be borne in mind that an older cat can get very old and meow much more than before. However, in the event of illness or pain, most cats do not show that they are suffering, enduring them without any signs.
There is another possibility – the so-called bad habits. They arise as a result of the wrong attitude of the guardian who treats the pet as soon as his cat begins to meow. In this way, he can also communicate his anger, dissatisfaction, or stress.
Cats use different tones of sounds depending on the situation.
And what can a cat signal to us with its behavior? Lot. From the desire to play together, to the lack of water in an empty bowl, hunger, the desire to go out, a full toilet, the joy of our return home, sickness, etc. Cats with a social disposition want contact with their owner. And the kitten during estrus will loudly announce what he wants to do at this time. This is why this is one of the reasons to consider sterilization.
The nature of the cat is designed in such a way that it is often active at night. During the day, in the absence of residents, they sleep peacefully, and in the evening, having rested, they come into action. And our cats are also very eager to play, they are waiting for our company, but we are not necessarily delighted with it. Another reason for nighttime activity is the heat of the cat living in the area. An uncastrated cat clearly declares its readiness to go out into the street with its loud meow. If anything, cats who want to experience intimate moments with a nearby cat behave in a similar way. Imagine a cat meowing for 6-7 days, night after night, her cat serenades, for example, at 2 or 3 am. This is a major challenge for the caregiver and his family.
If your cat meows unusually often, it could be a sign of pain or illness. There are also situations when a silent cat turns into a speaker with incessant meowing, or vice versa, when a domestic talker suddenly turns into a silent one. Then it becomes necessary to visit a veterinarian, because only a doctor can diagnose and prescribe the appropriate treatment. And cats can develop hypertension, renal failure, hyperthyroidism, joint pain, and with age – impaired perception or confusion.