Changing teeth is a natural process that takes place in every animal. And kittens are no exception. Babies lose their milk teeth in order to get strong and strong teeth.
Almost all kittens are born toothless. Babies teeth begin to erupt at the age of 1 to 2 weeks. At this age, kittens are still very small, so the appearance of teeth in animals does not bring discomfort to either the mother-cat or the rest of the household.
When the kittens are two months old, all 26 teeth grow. and already by the age of four months, in grown up kittens, the change of teeth begins and it lasts 2 – 3 months.
The process of changing teeth in kittens is as follows:
- First, the incisors change, during the change of these teeth, the kitten behaves as usual. Therefore, often, the owner does not even know that the dental process has already begun.
- Further, the fangs change. First, the lower teeth fall out, and then the upper ones.
- Then, the premolars and molars are changed. Teeth change in the same way as canines.
If you notice that your kitten s teeth are beginning to change, you need to take the following measures:
- Start buying some dry food for babies. Indeed, during the change of teeth, kittens gums become inflamed and itchy. And the use of solid food, a little “relaxes” the gums and relieves pain.
- Buy special rubber toys for your kitten. When kittens feel itchy, they look for something to chew on. Therefore, it is better for the pet to chew on special toys than your shoes, for example.
- In order for a kitten to grow healthy and strong teeth, it needs a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals. Therefore, when changing teeth, try to add special additives to your pet s diet.
Very often, the owners do not notice that the kitten s milk teeth begin to fall out. However, some pets show certain symptoms when changing teeth.
Symptoms of changing teeth in kittens
If your pet has one or more of these symptoms, it is best to visit your veterinarian.
- Refusal to eat.
There are situations when a kitten stops eating. It is necessary to pay special attention to this, because this symptom is extremely important.
Perhaps the baby refuses to eat because his teeth have fallen out and his gums hurt and itch. But it may also happen that the kitten is sick and urgently needs help.
- Bad breath.
When changing teeth, each kitten develops bad breath. The smell is felt only if you examine the pet s teeth, it should not be harsh and strong. If your pet develops a strong odor, see your veterinarian.
- The milk tooth has not fallen out, but the molar has already erupted.
This situation occurs very often. If suddenly the kitten behaves strangely or tries to get something out of its mouth with its paw, examine the pet s mouth. If you see a molar growing on top of a deciduous tooth, visit your veterinarian.
In order for the process of changing teeth in kittens to go as quickly and painlessly as possible, it is necessary to perform the following procedures:
- Examine your pet s oral cavity regularly. If you notice any suppuration or excessive redness, take your kitten to your veterinarian immediately.
- To relieve pain, make a decoction of various herbs and wipe your pet s gums with a cotton swab with this solution. The veterinarian will tell you what kind of herb to choose for your pet.
- Try to feed a little, if the baby does not want to eat, do not force him.
Changing teeth in kittens is a very important process that needs to be controlled. After all, even and beautiful teeth are not only the aesthetic beauty of a pet, but also a guarantee of excellent health.