Pets often experience ear problems, so don t worry if you spot a problem. We noticed that the cat scratched his ear until it bleeds, you donâ€™t know what to do, then you should contact a specialist. This will be the only sure way out. The animal s anxiety is usually conditioned, you may notice that it:
- combs the ear until it bleeds;
- shakes his head;
- worried more than usual.
Please note that the cat is thus informing you of a problem that should not be ignored. All these symptoms can indicate a variety of diseases. Therefore, it is worth contacting a specialist who can both identify the problem and provide the necessary assistance.
What could be the cause?
Among the reasons, the following situations can be observed:
- Otitis media may explain why a cat scratches its ears until it bleeds. This is an inflammation that affects both the inner and outer ear, and the behavior of the cat will depend on the form of the problem. Remember that with otitis media, discharge may be noticeable.
- Otodectosis. When an animal scratches its ears until it bleeds, the presence of an ear mite can be suspected. This is a kind of scabies, which is caused by the corresponding parasite. It parasitizes in the ear canal, feeds on blood, lymph, while causing the pet to inconvenience, cause anxiety.
- If you do not understand why the cat is shaking its head, then we can assume that this condition is a consequence of trauma. It is also worth excluding the ingress of a foreign object into the ear.
- You know that the animal has recently suffered an injury, then it is worth checking if this condition is its consequence. A hematoma could form, which is why the ears began to itch.
- Tumors and polyps are also sometimes seen with these symptoms.
Should you go to a veterinarian?
If you yourself do not understand why the cat scratches its ears until it bleeds, then you should contact a professional. He will be able to say exactly what the reason for this behavior is, but first he will need to conduct an appropriate examination. So the examination will reveal the presence of a foreign body, hematoma, and the tests taken will show if the pet has a tick. You should not complain about fate, think about why this happened to your cat, just go to the clinic.
During an otoscopy, polyps and tumors, as well as inflammation, can be detected. The specialist will use a special device that will allow you to inspect the passage, to make sure that the integrity of the tympanic membrane is not violated. Note that antibiotics may be prescribed if inflammation is present. A sensitivity test must be performed first.
It will bring fruitful results only if the diagnosis has been carried out correctly. Therefore, you should trust only professionals who are ready to do the necessary verification. If the cat continues to comb its ears, this is a reason for re-referring to a specialist. Remember that treatment can be different, depending on the identified ailment. With proper treatment, the cat should stop brushing its ear.