- Dry cat food
- Wet food (canned)
- Raw natural food
- Other features of prepared cat food
In this article, the PetObzor website will try to tell you in detail what types of cat food exist and how they differ from each other. Indeed, for example, the difference between dry and wet food is not only in moisture, but also in composition. Therefore, some types of food are suitable as a permanent staple food, while others are best used only as a dietary supplement.
Dry cat food
This type of food is conceived as a staple diet for cats and cats. Good dry food contains a lot of meat (which serves as a source of protein), animal fats, easily digestible sources of carbohydrates (for example, peas or specially processed potatoes), vegetables (as a source of fiber).
Also, dry food contains various additional ingredients and supplements of vitamins and minerals that supply the animal’s body with the nutrients it needs. However, the amount of nutrients contained depends on the quality of the feed.
Good and balanced dry food includes:
- Holistic cat food. The source of protein is fresh or dehydrated meat and fish. The composition does not contain cereals at all, no corn and wheat gluten is used. No entrails, ingredients with general formulations and incomprehensible quality. There is a good supplement of vitamins and minerals. All technological additives (preservatives, thickeners, etc.) are exclusively natural and completely safe for the body.
- Super top quality food. The main sources of protein are also meat and fish ingredients, but their percentage is usually lower. Wheat and corn are also missing, but rice, barley, or oatmeal may be in small quantities. Vitamin and mineral supplementation is good. Natural preservatives are used.
More or less complete can be considered:
- Top quality food. In addition to meat ingredients, vegetable proteins can also be found in large quantities here. It is typically corn gluten, less commonly wheat gluten. Vitamin and mineral supplementation is good or not bad. Data on the preservatives used are usually not indicated, they can be both natural and synthetic.
Of little use and which are not complete are:
Economy class cat food. The main ingredients are listed in common phrases, including animal protein sources (for example, “meat and meat products”). The vegetable protein used is also often not listed. The percentage of main ingredients is not stated either.
Therefore, it is not possible to understand how much animal protein is in the composition, how much vegetable protein, how much meat and how much offal, not to mention which. Cereals are often not listed either (it is simply said “cereals”). The addition of vitamins and minerals is minimal. No data on preservatives or other processing aids. Dyes may be present.
In the articles on the links above, we discussed in detail the dry foods of each class, and we also provided a list of brands belonging to those classes with links to reviews of specific feeds.
Among the popular dry foods are good, for example:
- Brit cares
- Many pictures
- Farmina N&D
- Fresh now
- Go natural
See also: Evaluation of cat food (based on a study of the composition of more than 150 foods of different brands)
Some manufacturers also produce semi-moist foods. In fact, they are the same dry food, except that the percentage of moisture in them is not ~ 10%, but ~ 20%. Because of this, the cat will drink a little less water. However, as with conventional dry food, water must also be available at all times.
Wet cat food
The next common form of ready-made cat food is wet food. In addition to dry, they can be divided into the same classes according to the quality of their composition. We recommend that you look at the wet feed rating from the PetObzor website to know which brands are good and which are better not to buy.
There are three different types of wet food:
- Pieces of canned meat … As a rule, these are the best wet foods. Their good composition can not only be read on the packaging, but also seen by simply opening the can. There will be pieces of real meat or fish fillet, between which there may be some vegetables and soup. No preservatives, grains or other unwanted ingredients.
- Pâtés … In terms of composition, this moist food can be either not worse than the previous ones, or much worse, because various by-products can be hidden in the pate. Sometimes these are useful by-products (heart, liver) and sometimes they are not listed and therefore nothing is clear. Rice or cereals, salt and other processing aids may be present.
- Pieces in sauce or jelly… These are usually the cheapest and highest quality wet food. The composition is most often written in general terms (“Chicken”, “Rabbit”, “Cereals”), it is not clear if there is meat and how much there is, which offal is present, etc. Often there can be cereals (and it is not stated which and in what quantity) , sugar, unspecified flavoring additives.
The photo above shows examples of each type of wet food. In the first case (The Wild canned food), the above composition (65% chicken breast fillets, 22% chicken soup, 13% vegetables (5% carrots, 4% peas, 2% pumpkin, 2% peppers), salmon oil) is easily checks after opening the can. We see that food really consists of meat fiber, soup and vegetables.
In the second (Animonda Carny pate) and the third (spider Katty) it is no longer clear what exactly this wet food consists of. What exactly and in what quantity is “mixed” into a paste or pieces “by eye” cannot be disassembled. And it often tastes good.
It should also be noted that it is possible to combine dry and wet foods from different manufacturers. By combining, we mean not mixing, but, for example, dry food in the morning and evening, and wet food for lunch. Recommendations not to feed different brands at the same time or to eat dry and wet are mainly based on difficulties in calculating the correct dose (daily food intake).
Raw cat food
The rarest form of ready-made cat food is raw food. They are closest to the natural diet of cats and cats, but least suitable in terms of storage and transportation. The reason is that this food is sold frozen. Accordingly, they are more difficult to deliver to areas away from production and cannot be stored without a freezer.
As a rule, such food can be found only in large cities and is produced locally. For example, Superpet cat food is produced in Moscow.
The main advantage of this type of food is the absence of heat treatment. Thanks to this, meat and other ingredients retain the maximum amount of nutrients (which are lost at the high temperatures required for the preparation of dry and wet canned food). Also, it is not necessary to use preservatives, because food is preserved by freezing.
Other features of prepared cat food
Dry and wet cat food is available for everyday use and for veterinary use. The former are intended for the daily consumption of healthy cats and cats. Other veterinarians prescribe for certain diseases. As a rule, the composition of veterinary food differs by a reduced or increased proportion of certain substances that contribute to the prevention or treatment of certain diseases. Therefore, it is impossible to use veterinary food to feed healthy animals.
Recommended reading: Medicinal cat food – quality assessment
In addition to dry, wet and raw food, there are also a variety of treats for cats and cats. These can be pieces of jerk or entrails, such as dry food granules (just very different in composition), chewing sticks, etc. etc. All these treats can be used to pamper a pet or as a reward, but not as a regular meal.
Still, it’s a fairly common question to ask if it’s possible for a cat to have dry dog food. We answered that in a separate article “Can cats eat dog food: yes, not why”, from which you will learn the difference between cat food and dogs.
Let’s summarize the types of cat food. They are dry, wet and damp. As a rule, only dry food and raw food are intended for the main meal, and canned wet food – only as a dietary supplement.
At the same time, dry food is not always whole and good – economy class cannot provide your pet with all the substances his body needs. The website “PetObzor” has already said how to determine if it is good cat food, we recommend that you get acquainted to learn how to quickly distinguish honestly bad food from good.
- Cat food