Many dog ??owners notice that their pets often chew on their paws and tail. What is the reason for this? Why does a dog gnaw its paws?
The most common reasons why a dog gnaws its paws
If a dog is chewing on its paws, then you should take a closer look at it and understand why it does it.
Here are the main reasons for this pet s actions:
- When a puppy is bored at an early age, he may chew on his paws and tail. If the owner does not prevent such actions of the pet, then they will become a habit, and an adult dog will regularly gnaw its paws and tail.
- In the event that a dog has developed a fungal infection, it may often chew on its paws. Do not forget that between the fingers of the pet, a constant hydrated state. And this is the best area for the propagation of infection. Therefore, if the dog often gnaws its paws, examine the pet and, if a fungus is found, immediately contact your veterinarian.
- If the dog has been bitten by a tick, it will also gnaw its paw, trying to get rid of the parasite. To prevent this from happening, check your pet regularly to make sure it doesn t have ticks.
- Pet nutrition should be balanced. If the dog eats a lot of protein, then it will chew on its paws and tail. To avoid this, formulate your pet s diet using your veterinarian s recommendations.
- An insufficient amount of vitamins in the dog s body leads to the fact that the pet begins to gnaw its paws. Make sure your dog is consuming the correct amount of vitamins and minerals.
- If the dog is neurotic, it will regularly chew on the paws, tail and other parts of the body. Try to protect your pet from stressful situations, and then he will not get sick.
- If the dog is not properly cared for, the pet may itch, so it will gnaw on its paws and tail. Therefore, bathe your dog regularly and this problem will never arise.
- When grooming your dog, remember to trim its nails. Otherwise, they will begin to grow into the skin, and the pet will gnaw its paws.
- When a pet walks, various harmful substances and chemicals fall on its paws. Upon contact with harmful substances, the dog may develop an allergy, and he will gnaw his paws.
- In the event that the pet has problems with the spine, he will have insufficient blood circulation. Therefore, the animal will gnaw its paws.
Strange pet behavior is the first sign that something is wrong with the dog. That is why, regularly take your pet to the veterinarian and monitor his health.