Separation anxiety occurs when a dog becomes anxious when left alone. This is a serious health condition and is the main reason why owners give their dogs help or assistance, however there are many things you can do to get your pet used to being left alone.
What is your dog s concern?
- Returning home from the shelter – Research shows that rescued dogs are more likely to be separated.
- Change of ownership– such a big change can become a trigger.
- Change of place of residence– Movement can be stressful for both people and their pets.
- A change in routine –even when life changes occur, veterinarians and coaches recommend keeping the schedule as normal as possible.
- Loss of a family member– Life change can be a trigger.
- I m left– they should be gradual and when they are ready. We will explain more below.
The dog is bred with the worst separation
In general, dogs with the worst anxiety about breed separation are those who love their people and who find it difficult to be alone. They have to be close to people and are very sensitive.
No wonder Frenchie it is one of the breeds with the worst separation. The French Bulldog was raised as a cute dog in genes for which they always want to be close to their people. Other breeds with similar characteristics may include: Toy Poodles, Bichon Frize, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Cocker Spaniels, etc.
High energy dogs
It was founded Border Collie the act is extremely clever of all breeds. For this reason, it is easy for them to get bored without mental stimulation. In addition, collies are very energetic dogs and leaving them alone for an extended period of time can lead to destructive behavior. Other breeds with similar characteristics may include: Jack Russell Terrier, An Afghan hound,, Collie,, German Pinscher, Boxer etc.
It was founded Labrador retriever it is a very outgoing and social breed that makes them struggle when left alone for long periods of time. They need time and a lot of physical activity with a loved one. German shepherd very similar to a retriever. They get along very well in a mentally stimulating environment because they want to please and are working dogs. Other breeds with similar characteristics can be: Australian Shepherd, Akita, Chinook salmon, etc.
Vizsla were taken out hunting with their people. No amount of physical activity can lead to destructive behavior and anxiety. Other breeds with similar characteristics can be: German Shorthaired Pointer, Great Dane, American Fox, Pointer, etc.
Common symptoms of separation
- Urine and stool – when they are destroyed. Another sign is swallowing some or all of their feces.
- Bark and howling – caused by leaving alone and excess.
- Destructive behavior– chewing, digging, tearing objects, etc. in the absence of the owner.
- Escape from the enclosed space– it only happens when it is left. Tip: aRestless dogs can injure themselves by trying to escape from an enclosed space or grab a collar. They are also very destructive and will chew everything.The use of indestructible breakable buckles is recommended to avoid / minimize injury or accident.
- stimulation – in an obsessive model.
- Droling or shortness of breath – more than usual.
How to finish separating dogs?
- Talk to your vet– eliminate all medical problems.
- Provide mental and physical stimulation – on a daily basis. Give your dog puzzle toys, lots of exercise, play with the dog often and visit the nearest dog park on a leash (if the dog is well socialized). You can participate in dog shows / competitions, you can take your dog for walks and trails, provide aqua aerobics and much more …
- Cage training – From a young age can be very useful. Dogs tie the cage as their safe area. Create them when youâ€™re at home so theyâ€™re not related to your departure.
- Air meter– the process of changing the dog s feelings from anxious to relaxed and due to the connection of new good experiences in moments caused by anxiety. When you go out, try offering your dog a food puzzle or a kong, which will take some time. Your dog will soon associate your absence with some tasty treat, and the anxiety will gradually decrease. Tip: During the summer, you can freeze Kong with food inside to ensure a cold snack that will take more time.
- desensitization– Gradually accustom your dog to short-term loneliness. Then gradually increase the duration of these separations. Think of this exercise as a peeping game. Exit to the front door, close the door, and then return a few seconds later (before the dog is worried). Do this exercise several times a day. Increase the seconds by 10 seconds each time your dog is doing well. When you get home, reward your dog with a treat if he feels good. After a few weeks, your dog should be able to deal with it for about 30 minutes. It is important to note that every dog ??is different and can work faster or slower, the most important thing is persistence. Get in the habit of rewarding your dog every time you enter the house. That way, your dog will think about the feast you will give him when you return home, rather than about your absence.
- Desensitize the trigger points – As mentioned above, you need to remove the triggers such as putting on shoes, coats, catching keys. These are all triggers that can be associated with anxiety. You should do the same as leaving, but do not leave so that your dog does not associate your absence with any of the above.
- Not goodbye – Do not hug or kiss the dog at parting because it can cause more anxiety.
- Smell – Leave a T-shirt that smells like you in their neighborhood. This will provide some comfort.
- CBD Oil – Using CBD oil can be a natural way to calm your pet.
- Medications – This should be the ultimate refuge. Always check with your veterinarian before giving your dog medication. The use of medications can be helpful in extreme cases of separation. Before using harsh medications, we would suggest natural anti-anxiety supplements for pets.
Never be impatient, never scold or punish a dog that is worried. If you do, your dog may show even worse symptoms of anxiety. As always, let us know if you have any questions or concerns below.