An animal in a house is akin to a child. You need to be prepared for any surprises. For example, a cat can swallow a poisonous substance or dangerous object. This can be household chemicals, poisonous plants, spoiled food, medicines, etc.
Before there is an opportunity to see a doctor, a certain amount of time will pass, which can have an extremely negative effect on the condition of the pet. Moreover, poisoning is one of the most common cause of death for pets.
In this case, it is necessary to urgently induce vomiting in the cat, without waiting for the dangerous substance to enter the bloodstream through the stomach and negatively affect the body. How to do it?
Methods that induce vomiting in an animal
- Using hydrogen peroxide. This remedy, for sure, is present in every home medicine cabinet and with its help you can induce vomiting in a cat. To do this, you need to take a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide at the rate of a teaspoon – for 5 kg. The masses of the animal are poured into the mouth of the cat. Usually the first dose will cause gagging. If this does not happen after 15 minutes, you can repeat the procedure.
- Saline solution. To induce vomiting, a saline solution is poured forcibly into the mouth of the animal. You can also put finely ground salt on the cat s tongue for this purpose.
- Emetic root syrup. For this, cats are given a teaspoon of the drug for 5 kg. weight. It is not recommended to give more than the specified dose to the animal, since by itself, these drugs are toxic.
When should an animal not vomit?
- the cat is unconscious;
- the animal has convulsions or convulsions;
- if the substance that the animal has swallowed contains a large amount of acid or alkali.
In these cases, only the intervention of an experienced veterinarian will help.