A cat that is already 10-12 months old has estrus 3 times a year. And here is your home Scottish, Bengal, Abyssinian or outbred, but your beloved kitty wants to run away in order to walk freely on the street with cats. How to calm an animal, what can you do at home?
Method number 1. Sterilization
Don’t want the animal to suffer and go in search of adventure several times a year? Then it is better to spay the cat. It is worth understanding that sterilization will make the pet calm, extend its life, reducing the likelihood of developing certain diseases. And you don’t have to catch a cat that went on a spree.
Important! If your animal has been suffering from “empty” leaks for many years, this can lead to breast cancer, cysts and other diseases. And if you know in advance that you will not mix a cat with a cat, then it will be correct and humane to sterilize a pet at a young age.
Method number 2. Hormonal drugs, but are they safe?
The body of a cat during estrus gives a signal: you need to look for a partner for reproduction! And if during this period you often start to stuff it with hormonal drugs, then a failure will occur in the animal’s body. As a result, a cat at the age of 4-6 years begins to suffer from diseases of the reproductive system.
Advice! If you cannot do without the use of hormonal agents, then do not buy any, but consult a veterinarian. For example, Suprastin is a safe and well-proven antihistamine that is given to a pet once a day (1/4 of a tablet per 5 kg of animal weight). But the Sex-Barrier drops and the like are those drugs that can cause the development of ovarian cysts.
Method number 3. Sedatives, which to choose and how to use them
Of course, the animal cannot be left without help, but it is better to use drugs that affect the nervous system. You can buy a wonderful soothing preparation “Cat Bayun”, which contains natural herbs. You can also use the following tools:
- “Cat mint”. It is better to purchase a product in the form of a spray, which is sprayed several times a day near the bed, bowl, cat litter. The tool has an excellent calming effect, the main condition is not to let the pet use it orally.
- Stop-Stress is a strong sedative not recommended for frequent use. “Stop-stress” is used extremely rarely in the case when the cat screams very loudly and tries to leave the apartment in any convenient way.
- Means “Fitex”, produced in the form of drops and differing in herbal composition.
Advice! Veterinarians advise to soothe pets with Feliway – these are synthetic pheromones. The tool normalizes the condition of the pet, discourages her from wanting to mark the territory.
Method number 4. Make time for the animal
During the daytime, keep your cat busy with active games that will help it get rid of excess energy. If the cat sleeps well during the day, then no one will rest at night.
You can also use the following methods:
- A cat that has gone on a walk once will constantly strive to go outside, smelling the smell of cats. Therefore, do not be too lazy to treat the jambs of the entrance doors with a fragrant deodorant or one of the above-mentioned sprays, which will “clog” the extraneous odors from the street.
- Reducing the amount of food you eat during the day will help calm your cat. The animal should not starve, but veterinarians recommend feeding the cat in the late afternoon, but the pet should have a lot of water in the bowl.
- At a time when the cat wants to walk, try to close the windows and doors well so that the pet does not run away.
Folk remedies to help calm a walking cat
In order to bring a cat on a spree with the help of folk remedies, you should act like this:
- Submerge the animal in water for a short time, or wash the cat. She will lick her coat for 3-4 hours, forgetting about heat and the desire to take a walk.
- Add a little baking soda (on the tip of a knife) to 100 ml of milk. The cat should drink this mixture within 24 hours.
- Give the animal 1 tbsp. l. vodka. Yes, the method is dubious, but effective.
These are the folk recipes that will help discourage the animal from walking!
Why doesn’t the cat want to walk?
Heat is a natural process that can be easily corrected with medicines and traditional medicine. But why isn’t the cat in heat and doesn’t want to go for a walk? There may be several reasons for this condition:
- Underdeveloped ovaries and hormonal disruptions of a different nature, due to which the animal does not have estrus.
- In some cats, heat is so quiet that the owner does not notice it.
Also, the reason for the absence of heat can be an unbalanced diet, which entails a lack of vitamins. If the cat has not been in heat for a long time, then this is a serious reason to contact your veterinarian!