Taking a kitten into the house, you need to be prepared for various surprises. A kitten, like a small child, requires maximum care and attention. Therefore, you need to learn how to carry out the most elementary medical procedures, which include an enema.
Bowel problems (constipation) bring considerable discomfort to the cat. The animal experiences a feeling of discomfort, anxiety. Naturally, this state of a beloved cat causes suffering for the owner.
And the sooner help is provided to the animal, the faster the intestines will work properly and the animal will return to its usual way of life.
Signs by which you can recognize constipation and identify the need to resort to the help of an enema:
- meowing when trying to go to the toilet;
- unsuccessful visit to the tray;
- weight loss;
- pain in the abdomen;
- when pressing on the abdomen, you can feel solid accumulations of feces.
Consider the reasons for the cat s digestive upset (constipation). For example, the animal s menu was dominated by food with a low fiber content, the animal consumed little water (dehydration), ingestion of wool during licking (during molting), ingestion of foreign bodies into the intestines.
If for 2-3 days there are unsuccessful attempts to go to the toilet, while there are no other alarming signs of deterioration in health, it is considered necessary and possible to alleviate the condition of the animal with an enema.
Let s try to figure out how to give an enema to a cat, most importantly, without harming it.
To do this you need:
- – a special enema pear;
- – salt water solution (300 ml teaspoon). You can make a solution of potassium permanganate or chamomile;
- – petroleum jelly;
- – latex gloves.
It is necessary to be prepared for the fact that these manipulations will not delight the cat and the animal may show aggression. Therefore, it will be necessary to use the help of another person who will hold the cat – in a standing position!
Before starting the procedure, the solution should be cooled to a temperature of about 30 degrees – this is the optimal temperature for uncorking the intestines.
- Place the animal in a basin. This is necessary so that, in case of success, it would be where to flow out the feces.
- Next, we collect the solution into a syringe (pear), the tip of which is smeared with petroleum jelly. The syringe is inserted (turning along the axis, as if twisting) into the anus of the animal slowly and carefully (no more than 2 cm). When pressing on the pear, it is necessary to control how easily liquid is poured into the intestines. If the solution is injected with difficulty or the liquid does not pass at all, it is necessary to suspend the procedure and contact the veterinarian, since everything can turn out to be much more serious than just an upset stomach (chronic bowel disease, swelling, etc.).
- After the liquid is introduced into the anus (up to 200-300 mm), the anus should be clamped with the tail and held for 15 minutes. The animal should be held in place until the feces come out.
- You can massage the abdomen to facilitate the removal of feces. To do this, feel the hardened excrement and massage with your fingers.
Important! If the enema does not give the desired effect, the procedure can be repeated after 1-2 hours. If after that nothing happened, then you should consult a doctor.
It is also necessary to seek the advice of a veterinarian if the presence of blood is observed in the feces. This can indicate both damage to the rectum and the presence of other diseases.
We figured out how to do an enema for a cat. Now we will consider what actions should be taken in order to no longer allow intestinal upset in the animal:
- comb the animal s fur so that it does not swallow the villi and they do not accumulate in the intestines;
- include in the diet fiber of plant origin (cereals, vegetables, etc.);
- create conditions under which the cat moved a lot;
- consult a veterinarian and purchase a special product (paste) that will help the cat get rid of foreign objects that have entered the intestines.