Some people who buy a dog don t even know how to feed a puppy properly. The “hackneyed” notion that a dog needs porridge and bones is erroneous, because such feeding is very harmful for pets, especially puppies.
It is very easy to grow a beautiful and healthy dog, you just need to feed and care for your pet correctly.
Nutrition for puppies
When a baby gets into a new home, it is very important to teach him to eat properly. After all, good nutrition is the key to the health of a puppy.
Basic rules for feeding a puppy:
- When you buy a pet, be sure to check with the breeder what he fed the puppy. Indeed, for a small pet, moving to a new home is very stressful. Therefore, for the first week feed the puppy only what the breeder fed him. So the baby will better endure parting with his mother and moving to a new home.
- When you start introducing new products to your pet, then you need to do this very carefully, in one day, add one new product.
- From early childhood, vegetables must be added to the pet s diet, and if the puppy asks, then fruits can also be added. In general, try to give your baby a piece of different vegetables and fruits that he likes, and give a little more. The exception is citrus fruits, too sweet, spicy and fatty foods.
Before buying a puppy, you must decide in advance whether the pet s nutrition will be natural or mixed.
Pet feeding frequency
How much food to feed the puppy? There is no definite answer to this question. After the puppy has adapted a little to the new home, it is necessary to build a feeding schedule and daily walks for him. How many times a day to feed a puppy depends only on the needs of the animal. After all, all pets differ from each other not only in weight, but also in appetite.
If the puppy requires to be fed 8-0 times a day, feed it, but a tiny amount. Over time, the pet will enter the mode and begin to eat according to the schedule.
However, there are rules for feeding puppies by age:
- 1-2 months – at this age, the puppy needs to be fed 5 to 6 times;
- 2 – 3 months – at this age, you need to feed the puppy 4 to 5 times a day;
- 3-4 months – at this age, you need to feed the puppy 4 to 3 times a day;
- 4 – 6 months – at this age, you need to feed the puppy 3 to 2 times a day;
- After 7 months, the puppy needs to be fed 2 times a day.
It is very difficult to create a complete diet for a puppy. If you are not able to do this yourself, then you need to seek help from your veterinarian.
Some puppies need to be fed exclusively dry food:
- Dogs with allergies;
- Pets with hereditary disease tendencies;
- Dogs with impaired metabolism.
If suddenly for some reason you are unable to feed your pet with natural food, then feed the puppy with dry food.
Natural feeding: how to make the right diet for your pet
As mentioned earlier, it is very difficult to create the right diet for your pet. However, if you follow the simple rules, you can quickly and intelligently choose the right diet for your puppy. To understand how many times a day to feed your puppy, look at how much your pet eats.
The basics of nutrition for puppies:
- The main product in the pet s diet should be porridge made from various cereals (of equal amount). Vegetables and lean meat without bones.
- Do not forget that up to 12 months, half of the pet s diet should be meat.
- Working and active dog breeds should constantly consume boiled cartilage jelly.
- From cereal products, rice and buckwheat are the most suitable for dogs. Semolina is strictly prohibited!
- Sometimes, puppies need to be given natural dairy products. Store products are not allowed.
- Eggs should be given to your pet exclusively as an omelet without oil and salt.
- Vegetables and fruits intended for the puppy must be raw. An exception is cabbage, it should be stewed or boiled.
- Never feed your puppy raw meat.
With proper feeding, the puppy will grow up very quickly and be healthy. Do not neglect these rules, and soon, your little pet will turn into a big and beautiful dog. And do not forget how many times to feed the puppy depends only on the appetite and needs of the animal.